GET READY FOR NOVEMBER!
The races for control of Congress and Harrisburg are officially on, and we’re not wasting any time! Democrats across Pennsylvania are taking action, and anyone who wants PA to turn blue can join. Here’s what you need to know.
In every part of PA, local Democrats are walking door-to-door in their communities, speaking with neighbors about the issues important to them (aka “canvassing”).
In doing so, canvassers will raise awareness of this November’s crucial election while promoting Democrats up and down the ballot.
Why It’s Happening
Face-to-face conversation is still, by far, the best way to connect with and persuade voters. We must speak with voters early, often, and repeatedly to win big in November, and this weekend’s our first major push to do so.
Get involved and meet others who want to build the Blue wave!
More here to volunteer, intern, or contribute.
All PA Primary Election Results
Election 2018: Congress and State Government
At the May 15 primary voters will be selecting Democratic candidates for US Congress, state government, and state and local Democratic Committee members. The Club endorsement will have increased influence in the upcoming mid-term elections. On April 23 the Club membership endorsed candidates for:
US Senate: Bob Casey **
US House: Mike Doyle **
PA Governor: Tom Wolf **
PA Lt. Gov: Nina Ahmad
PA House 23rd: Dan Frankel **
PA House 24th: Ed Gainey **
PA House 34th: Summer Lee **
PA State Democratic Committee:
Barbara Ernsberger *
Abigail Gardner *
Jessica McCurdy *
Caroline Mitchell *
Judy O’Connor *
Jessel Costa *
Ryan Herbinko *
Marvin Leibowitz *
** Nominated in the May 21 Primary Election
* Elected on May 21
PGH 14 WIDC By-Law Changes: APPROVED (see what was approved here.)
- Sunday, Jan. 28 14WIDC Annual Meeting
- Tuesday, March 6 City Council District 8 Special Election
- Monday, April 16 Last Day to register before the Primary Election
- Saturday, April 21 14WIDC Fund Raising Event
- Sunday, April 22 14WIDC Endorsement Meeting and Candidate Forum
- Tuesday, May 15 PRIMARY ELECTION DAY
Special Election for City Council District 8 – Tues. March 6
In December 2017, Mayor Peduto announced that City Councilman Dan Gilman would become his new Chief of Staff triggering a special election to fill the District 8 seat. City council President Bruce Kraus has scheduled a special election on Tuesday, March 6 for the open seat to represent District 8, which includes Oakland, Point Breeze, Shadyside and Squirrel Hill.
Several candidates have announced their intent to run for this seat:
- Sonja Finn, owner of Dinette, a restaurant in Shadyside
- Martin Healey, owner of Martin Healey Design & Build, general contrator
- Erika Strassburger, Chief of Staff for Councilman Gilman
- Rennick Remley, Republican candidat
2017 14WIDC Endorsements
Members of the 14WIDC met on Sunday April 23, 2017 for the Annual Endorsement Meeting. Members had the opportunity to listen to candidates for office and then vote to endorse their chosen candidates.
The Club’s official endorsements for 2017 were:
- PA Supreme Court Justice: Dwayne Woodruff
- Allegheny County Sheriff: Bill Mullen
- City of Pittsburgh Mayor: Bill Peduto
- Pittsburgh City Council – District 8: Dan Gilman
- Pittsburgh School Board – District 1: Sylvia C. Wilson
- Pittsburgh School Board – District 5: Terry Kennedy
- Magisterial District Justice: District 5-2-35: Dan Butler
- PA Superior Court: Carolyn H. Nichols, Geoff Moulton, Maria McLaughlin, and Debbie Kunselman
- PA Commonwealth Court: Ellen Ceisler and Todd Eagen
- Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas: Patrick Connelly and David Spurgeon