The PGH 14 WIDC’s Primary Endorsements are on APRIL 2nd 12-4:30 at the Schenley Ice Rink Lodge. MORE…
The full 2023 Elections Calendar is here.
The 2023 Primary Election is on Tuesday, May 16.
General Election Day 2023 is Tuesday, November 7.
Polls are open 7am-8pm.
Anyone in line at 8:00pm will be allowed to vote.
Mail-in ballots are due RECEIVED by the Elections Department by 8 PM on the day of each election.
RETURNING CITIZENS: if your “feet are on the street”, you ARE eligible to vote!
STUDENTS: If you’ve lived in your voting district 30 days or more, you can vote there.
Last Day to register for the Primary Election: Monday, May 1, 2023
Last Day to register for the Municipal Election: Monday, October 23, 2023
YOU HAVE 3 OPTIONS FOR VOTING:
1) Mail-in Ballots (pretty new!)
- Mail-in and absentee ballots must be received by 8 p.m. on Election Day in order to be counted.
- You may NOT drop off a marked/voted ballot at the polling place on May 16. You may vote in person at your polling place, by giving your entire absentee/mail-in ballot package (outer envelope, ballot, and secrecy envelope) to the poll worker, who will void (“spoil”) that ballot and allow you to vote in person.
- Mail-in and absentee ballots can be dropped off at the Elections Office (address below). IMPORTANT NOTE: Voters may only drop off their own ballots.
How to complete a mail-in ballot in 3 easy steps:
- Mark your ballot, carefully following all of the instructions.
- There are 2 envelopes and you must use both: place your ballot in the secrecy inner envelope (#1) and then put the secrecy envelope into the official outer envelope (#2). Be sure to sign the declaration on the outside of the outer envelope, or your ballot may not count.
- Return your ballot so it arrives at the county election office on time.
- Track your ballot to be sure it is received and processed HERE
Voting by mail is an easy, convenient and secure way to cast your ballot. FOR THE PRIMARY, apply by 5:00 p.m. on May 9, 2023. You can apply online. Your ballot MUST BE RECEIVED, NOT JUST POSTMARKED, by 8:00 p.m. on Tuesday, MAY 16, 2023.
2) Early Voting before November 7
- You can vote early in person or if you received a mail-in ballot you can bring it with you and put it in a drop box at the following locations and times. IMPORTANT NOTE: Voters may only drop off their own ballots.
- Satellite Locations (IF there will be any) TBA
- County Election Office, 542 Forbes Ave, Downtown Pittsburgh
- Satellite Locations (IF there will be any) TBA
3) Election Day Voting November 7 (all polls will be open)
- Check if you’re registered to vote, and that all of your information is correct. Need to change something? You must do so no later than 15 days before the election.
- Visit the polling place locator to find where you will go to vote, and get directions to your polling place.
- COVID-19 Mitigation Measures will still be in place on Election Day. Voters are asked to wear a face covering, observe physical distancing and to be cognizant of others around you.
- First-time voters – including individuals are are voting for the first-time at the polling place, will be asked to show an approved form of identification. There are alternatives to a photo ID.
Changed Your Mind About How to Vote?
This is not recommended due to the confusion this could cause and/or someone contesting your ballot, but if you absolutely must, then you have two options:
- Take your unmarked/blank ballot, declaration envelope and all other materials received to your polling place. Let the poll workers know that you want to “spoil” your ballot so that you can vote in-person. You will need to turn over the ballot and materials to the poll workers who will note them as spoiled and place them in an envelope to be returned to Elections. Once done, you will sign in and be processed the same as any other voter.
- If you did not receive your ballot or cannot find it, you can still go to your polling place, but you will have to cast a provisional ballot. Once voted, you will return your ballot to the poll workers who will secure it in an envelope and note the reason that you were asked to cast a provisional ballot. Your vote will not be counted on election day but will instead be returned to Elections and reviewed as part of the Return Board process. Once the board verifies that you cast no other vote in this election, the ballot will be opened, counted and added to the overall vote count.
Allegheny County Election Office:
Allegheny County Elections Division
542 Forbes Ave., Suite 604
Pittsburgh, PA 15219-2953
Pittsburgh and the 14th Ward are in Allegheny County.
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of State elections information
Full 2022 Election Calendar
|TBD, 2022||First day to circulate and file nomination petitions|
|TBD, 2022||Last day to circulate and file nomination petitions|
|TBD, 2022||First day to circulate and file nomination papers|
|TBD, 2022||Last day to file objections to nomination petitions|
|TBD, 2022||Last day for withdrawal by candidates who filed nomination petitions|
|May 2, 2022||Last day to REGISTER before the primary|
|May 2, 2022||Last day to apply for a mail-in or civilian absentee ballot|
|May 17, 2022||Last day for County Board of Elections to receive voted mail-in and civilian absentee ballots (must be received by 8:00 P.M.)|
|May 17, 2022||MUNICIPAL PRIMARY|
|May 18, 2022||First day to REGISTER after primary|
|May 24, 2022||Last day for County Board of Elections to receive voted military and overseas absentee ballots (submitted for delivery no later than 11:59 P.M. on May 17)|
|Aug 1, 2022||Last day to circulate and file nomination papers|
|TBD, 2022||Last day to file objections to nomination papers|
|August 8, 2022||Last day for withdrawal by candidates nominated by nomination papers|
|August 15, 2022||Last day for withdrawal by candidates nominated at the primary|
|November 1, 2022||Last day to REGISTER before the November election|
|November 1, 2022||Last day to apply for a mail-in or civilian absentee ballot|
|November 8, 2022||Last day for County Boards of Elections to receive voted mail-in and civilian absentee ballots (must be received by 8:00 P.M.)|
|November 8, 2021||MUNICIPAL ELECTION|
|November 9, 2022||First day to REGISTER after November election|
|November 15, 2022||Last day for County Board of Elections to receive voted military and overseas absentee ballots (submitted for delivery no later than 11:59 P.M. on November 1)|
PA voting information source: https://www.vote.pa.gov/About-Elections/Pages/Election-Calendar.aspx